ASCD congratulates 2014 Affiliate Overall Excellence Award recipient New Jersey ASCD. ASCD annually recognizes affiliates to honor their exemplary service to the education community.
ASCD recognizes New Jersey ASCD's excellence in
- Thought leadership. The affiliate brings together key education leaders, major organizations, and universities to plan and offer symposia that target issues affecting teacher preparation programs. The affiliate also provides leadership for early childhood educators.
- Strategic reorganization of the affiliate’s geographic regions to meet the needs of educators underserved in the state, including the use of social media in its communications strategy.
- Providing professional learning in the state for the implementation of the Common Core State Standards through facilitating a series of workshops and providing in-district capacity building through its cadre of faculty. The recently redesigned affiliate website includes a Common Core Portal, which provides access to a wide range of resources.
- Membership enhancement by targeting new constituencies, including pre-service teachers. New Jersey ASCD has created a continuum of members that addresses Pre-K through Higher Education.
- Continued dedication to whole child education. New Jersey ASCD created and presented an In-Service Day modeled on the Whole Child framework. Approximately 1,200 K-12 educators attended and learned from NJASCD Cadre members, personnel representing the areas of the Whole Child tenets, and a school administrator from the school awarded the first Vision in Action: ASCD Whole Child Award.